Now, you actually cannot debate the importance of the braking system in any car. Now, we are not talking about the smaller cars that litter our roads. When you think about the trailers and other heavy duty cars, you will immediately remember how important an effective working trailer braking system will be on them.
Now, one of the major reasons why you are in need of the Best Trailer Brake Controllers because of the danger they will definitely do to the towing car, coupled with lives and properties around whenever they experience any form of brake failure. Because the trailers carry huge loads, controlling them becomes very difficult. That is why the trailer brake controller is made, so that it can always assist the drivers by allowing them to monitor the braking system at all times through visual effects. This makes the braking system very easy to handle, and effective at the long run. You have a lot of brake control system for trailers in the market and they are coming from different manufacturers. However, due to the importance of this, you need to get the best all the time. There are some from trusted names that we have reviewed, and the review will do you good if you intend to get the best product. This will help you control the braking system of the truck or trailer easily.
- 1 Best Trailer Brake Controller 2017
- 2 1. Reese Towpower 8507111 Brakeman IV Compact Brake Control
- 3 2. Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
- 4 3. Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Controller
- 5 4. Hopkins 47297 INSIGHT Brake Control
- 6 5. Draw-Tite 5504 Activator IV Electronic Brake Control
- 7 6. CURT 51120 Discovery Brake Control
- 8 7. Draw-Tite 20191 I-Stop IQ Electronic Brake Control
- 9 8. Reese Towpower 7437711 Pod Brake Control
- 10 9. Tekonsha 90885 Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control
- 11 10. Voyager 9030 Trailer Brake Controller
Best Trailer Brake Controller 2017
Last Updated: 23/04/2017
1. Reese Towpower 8507111 Brakeman IV Compact Brake Control
When you purchase this brake controller from Reese, you will enjoy the digital display that it comes with. It also comes with a sync setting, the short connection, and the brake overload features. It is designed to be very small in size. The great thing about this is that you can mount it in any direction or in any position in your car. You will have no need for any leveler when you make use of this braking system, and you can use one to handle up to 8 braking systems. It comes with an internal circuit protection of top notch and innovative quality. However, this is meant for use on 12 volt negative ground systems alone. This can handle up to four braking axles while displaying the effects on a digital screen. With the display, you will know the amount of voltage that goes to the brakes so as to know the level of adjustment you need to give to the brakes. This also comes with an easy to push button that will help you control the weights and speed.
- You can easily control the speed and weight
- Digital display helps you understand the amount of voltage and also adjust accordingly
- This can be used on 8 brakes
- The design is very poor and could be improved on
- Finding where to drop this will be a slight problem
2. Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control
This Best Brake Controller from Tekonsha performs its task extremely well, and that is why it is the second controller we are reviewing today. This has many unique features that make it the darling of many people, ranging from the fact that it displays what happens under on an LCD screen that could be read easily. This display comes in multiple colors and could be read in many different languages. The things you will see on the display when you view it will include the output current, the voltage, alerts to situations of brake failure, brake and battery alerts. With the boost feature here, you can customize the braking levels as you wish. Within this, there are three different options, and they include the electric trailer option, the hydraulic option and the select electric option. You will also enjoy the feature that will help you remove and store the clip whenever and wherever you wish. This is the snap-in mounting clip. This has 2 plug adapters with which you can enjoy its plug and play mode.
- Plug and play mode
- Strap in mounting helps you store without qualms
- Offers many customized braking levels
- Have a lot of options on the output display
- LCD display has multiple language and multiple screen color options
3. Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Controller
Another braking system in contender to become the best trailer Brake Controller is from Tekonsha. It is the 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Control systems, and it is designed to work with the 2 plug adapter in a plug and play mode all the time. The good thing is that whenever any issue occurs, you will be the first to know through the LED display readout that is designed into the self diagnostic unit. This is also designed in such a way that it works in reverse in a proportional way. It also comes with a boost feature, and you will also get a mounting clip that could be easily snapped in whenever you want to store this in a place. One thing you will enjoy when you use the PrimusIQ is its self leveling feature. This is to say that you will not have to trouble yourself trying to adjust things here. People enjoy the boost feature when towing heavier trailers, as they can apply more premium trailer braking as they enjoy the primary sensor from prodigy.
- LED digital readout is clear and comprehensive
- It comes with a boost feature
- The entire system is proportional
- The red color of the LED display could be annoying sometimes
4. Hopkins 47297 INSIGHT Brake Control
And we are now at the 4th in the list of the best brake controllers. This is coming from the stable of the famous Hopkins. Now, this is top notch, advanced and innovative, and will give you a mirroring of the entire braking system whenever you are using your tow vehicle, to ensure smooth stops whenever you want to. This is versatile, in the sense that both hydraulic and electric brake trailers can use it. It comes with sensitivity and power settings that are digital in nature. This protection will serve you for about 8 trailer breaks. You have to think of the strength of 8 trailer breaks and understand the type of strength that is built into this. You will not need any form of training or education to handle this because it is user friendly and easy to use. All you need to do is to enjoy the feature that allows you to mount each of the components wherever you deem fit. This comes from a firm that is known for excellence in producing and selling adapters, wring kits, and connectors. So you don’t need to panic for anything. With this, you will always have your eyes on the highway
- Power and sensitivity settings
- Can work for 8 trailer brakes
- You can store anywhere you want
- Easy to control due to installation method
- User friendly and easy to use
- The case and manual brake are huge; finding where to place them is a problem
- The red triangular light reflects on the semi translucent case
5. Draw-Tite 5504 Activator IV Electronic Brake Control
The fifth is this amazing product from Draw-Tite. This is named the 5504 Activator IV Electronic Brake Control, and it is meant to function on 4 le trailer brakes. This has the compact design that many people have been clamoring for, so the place to position it will no longer be a problem. There is also a push button upfront, and this ensures the output and sync functions are taken care of. The indicator is a LED illuminated type, and this is displayed on the front of the control piece, so that your eyes will be on what is happening down there without any stress. Yes, you go on with your driving and still monitor the braking system without qualms. Another plus here is that the installation of this device is very easy, and could be done by any adult. This could be seen from any chosen angle too. It is plug and play, and therefore user friendly. You will also get a mounting hardware when you buy this.
- Comes with the mounting device
- Brings LED display that could be seen from any angle
- Plug and play easy installation
- Can work on all 2-plug vehicles
6. CURT 51120 Discovery Brake Control
The next in the line is the 51120 Discovery Brake Control from Curt. There are some features that everyone is looking for in the best Trailer Brake Controller and when they see the one that have these, they tend to stick with them. The 51120 Discovery Brake Control from Curt has every feature you will find interesting and useful for your trailer brake. They include the fact that you can mount this anywhere you feel like in your car. This is versatile, in the sense that all trailers that has from 2 to 8 brakes could be controlled by this. The ramp time and the power options could be adjusted accordingly without any qualms. With this, the brake lights could be activated by controlling them annually, and this is very easy to do with your thumb. When you buy the package, you will get the brackets with which you will mount them, and you will also get the entire mountain hardware, including the mounting clips.
- This comes with a time based activation feature
- This can control all 2 to 8 brake trailers
- The ramp and power keys could be adjusted
- This costs more than it works
7. Draw-Tite 20191 I-Stop IQ Electronic Brake Control
Another proportional trailer brake controller system is the one that comes from Draw-Tite, and it is named the 20191 I-Stop IQ Electronic Brake Control. This does not do too much since it only handles between 2 and 3 axle trailers. But the truth is that the much it handles, is done effectively. Now, whenever there are problems with the braking system of the trailer, the self illuminated LED readout will light itself, and this will show you what it has diagnosed as the problem through the self diagnostics feature. This makes handling of this piece very easy. This is a proportionately working device as we have said before, and it comes with a boost feature, with which you can apply increased initial trailer braking whenever you have the need to tow something heavy. It has a plug and play design, and this is handled through its 2 plug adapters. So, it is user friendly. With the mounting clip which is one of the hardware it comes with, you can remove and store this anywhere when you deem fit. It also has a stylish and elegant looking design.
- Looks very beautiful and attractive
- Comes with a mounting clip for easy storage
- Comes with the boost feature for towing heavier trailers
- The internal sensor is an inconsistent stuff
- The sensor prevents this from being mounted sideways
8. Reese Towpower 7437711 Pod Brake Control
When you are searching for a trailer brake controller that will ensure proper connection between the toe vehicle and the trailer, you should just go for the Reese Towpower 7437711 Pod Brake Control. It achieves the aforementioned through its power-on LED. This is designed by Reese in such a way that the electronics is very solid, as complimented by the upfront manual override. While this is very easy to mount anywhere you wish, it has a very rugged design that makes it withstand a lot of adverse effects and still give maximum output at all times. This could be activated in a timed manner, and it comes with the hardware and clip with which you can mount it anywhere you deem fit. When designing this, the Reese people intended for it to be for both recreational and work purposes.
- This is of a very rugged design so it can withstand a lot
- It is also very easy to mount
- It comes with the hardware and clip that makes storage very easy
- It has a timed activation feature
- The brakes wastes time in releasing during a slow speed stop
9. Tekonsha 90885 Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control
Tekonsha never gives up when it comes to car parts and accessories and they have sustained their existence because they are always coming out with good products. One of those great products is this 90885 Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control. This could be used for at least 4 breaking axles, and it is versatile in nature. This is to say that it could serve both the hydraulic and the electric trailer brake controller. Through the clear digital display on the device, you will monitor the amount of voltage that is being delivered to the trailer when braking happens. So, the amount of stops that the deceleration rate of the vehicle needs is what it gives to it. It is amazing to use because you have a lot of ways you can mount it. You can even place it in a 360 degrees option. Because of this, it is very easy for you to store this when not in use. The boost feature which has been doing wonders is also designed into this, so you should expect more initial trailer brake to be given when a heavier stuff is being towed. Other features it comes with include the reverse battery protection, the shorted magnet conditions, and continual diagnostics.
- Comes with a lot of additional features
- Reserve battery protection
- Works on both electric and hydraulic brakes
- Comes with the boost feature
- Could rotate 360 or to any other degree when mounting
- To find where to install it on the ground is not easy
10. Voyager 9030 Trailer Brake Controller
The last but not the least is coming from the manufacturer named Voyager. This is named the 9030 Trailer Brake Controller. This is developed by Tekonsha for voyager, and it stands as the best trailer brake Controller for you whenever you are thinking of transiting from the old ways to a smoother and more secure braking for your trailer. The first thing you will appreciate in this product is the size. It has a very small one and so could be classified as perfectly compact. The next is the fact that it has a LED brake monitor that shows in many colors. When in use, it does not interfere with the electrical connection of the vehicle that is towing the trailer. It actually is compatible with many vehicles, and the setting is very broad in range, while it works with a four wire hookup.
Because of the control range, you can easily set and install this. You are shown the rate of braking power by different colors in the led display. It is designed with an advanced electronic feature, so that false braking is eliminated. This controls 4 braking axles below and has the plug and play design.
- Comes with a 5 year limited warranty
- False braking is handled by advanced electronics
- Plug and play and easy to use
- Bicolor led light
- No mounting clips for storage
- You will find it difficult deciding where to put it
For a more detailed guide on how to install trailer brake system, follow the guide on this video: