Car repair and maintenance has moved away from the ancient blind method of having to dismantle the entire car engine in the bid to search and discover what the problem is. With modern cars embracing innovation and computerization, cars can now be scanned so that problems are picked out and dealt with head-on, rather than having to go through a lot of troubles to discover what the problem is. There are lots of car engine scanners in the market today and being that you may encounter some form of confusion trying to pick one out of these, we have made a list of the best 10 car scanners in the market at present. This will help you understand their features, functions, capabilities, and even their bad sides, so as to know the one to buy when you are in the auto equipment shop for this. Nobody enjoys buying a blind market, only to go home and discover that he bought something that will not be beneficial to him.
- 1 Best 10 Scanners for Cars 2018
- 2 1. Veepeak OBD2 Scanner Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader for Check Engine Light, Read & Clear
- 3 2. Code Reader, AQV Diagnostic Tool OBDMATE OM123 Car Vehicle Scanner for Check Diagnostics Trouble Codes for All
- 4 3. Foxwell Universal Car Diagnostic Obd2 Scanner, Nt301 Automotive Fault Code Reader DIY Obdii Eobd Check Engine Light Scan Tool
- 5 4. Ancel AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD II Scanner Car Engine Fault Code Reader CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool
- 6 5. BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices
- 7 6. Veepeak OBD2 Scanner Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader for Check Engine
- 8 7. Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II & CAN Scan Tool
- 9 8. Car WIFI OBD 2 OBD2 OBDII Scan Tool Foseal Scanner Adapter Check Engine Diagnostic Tool for iOS & Android
- 10 9. Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles
- 11 10. Autel AL519 AutoLink Enhanced OBD ll Scan Tool with Mode 6
Best 10 Scanners for Cars 2018
1. Veepeak OBD2 Scanner Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader for Check Engine Light, Read & Clear
The first car scanner we are reviewing is the OBD2 Scanner Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool from Veepeak. With this, you will be able to enjoy easy engine scan codes and their description once this is plugged in. It works on all cars and trucks that are OBDII compliant. Now, one great attribute of this scanner is that it is very small in size. But this does not in any way translate to being small in strength. That is why it performs all the actions that the huge scanner can carry out. Its major strengths are to retrieve information about vehicles, pick out trouble codes for engines and also identify the cause of the “Check Engine Light” warning whenever it is on. It is so simple that almost everybody can use it without qualms. This is because of its plug and play nature. This is compatible with all imported and domestic cars from 1996 in the US and from 1998 in Canada. It supports OBD2 protocos like KWP 2000, ISO, PWM, VPW, and CAN. It supports requests for multiple codes, and reviews the readiness level of the OBD monitors. It could also retrieve car VIN and read the malfunction indicator lamp. The crystal-clear backlit 2-line LCD display is very easy to read and will communicate with onboard computer of every vehicle in an easy manner. This works alone, so you don’t need a cell phone or laptop, and you don’t need any batteries because the OBD2 cable powers this.
- Very easy to use
- No batteries needed
- It can work alone without the need for any other gadget
- It works on both imported and domestic cars
- Works on unclear codes in some cars like Audi All-road 2003
- Some complain that it does not work on their Volkswagen cars as stated
2. Code Reader, AQV Diagnostic Tool OBDMATE OM123 Car Vehicle Scanner for Check Diagnostics Trouble Codes for All
The next best car scanner we are reviewing for your own knowledge is the AQV Diagnostic Tool OBDMATE OM123 Car Vehicle Scanner from Code Reader. Now, whenever you are looking for something compact, and which will also give you the fastest response, then you will need to go for this. This is very easy to handle, and the screen could be read easily by anyone. It also gives you the chance to get the codes and also to reset them. Some other features of this include the act that it is cost effective, practical in nature, gives fast diagnosis and is connected to vehicles in an automatic manner. With this, you will be saved a lot of time and money on auto repairs. It works with an amazing level of precision, and can also work on many types of cars, especially cars manufactured from 1996 in the US, Europe and Asia too. With this, you will enjoy a plug and play setting and a very large LC backlight that one can easily read. There will be no need for batteries. Definitions are clearly shown by this scanner. It will also turns off check engine light, reveals issues in very vivid and comprehensive codes and will reset the monitors. This reads live data stream and will help you view the freeze frame data. It is also ready for I/M monitor. You can read this in several languages and it supports all the OBD2 protocols coupled with control area network.
- This is multilingual
- It is plug and play, and easy to read
- The LCD backlight display is very clear
- Difficult to read 2003 dodge caravan
- Does work on vehicles manufactured before 1996
3. Foxwell Universal Car Diagnostic Obd2 Scanner, Nt301 Automotive Fault Code Reader DIY Obdii Eobd Check Engine Light Scan Tool
The next in the line is the Universal Car Diagnostic Obd2 Scanner from Foxwell. Many people have said that this is the easiest to handle and that it gives one of the fastest solutions you can think of. This is accredited to never go wrong when it comes to fishing out and explaining all the Check Engine issues on your car. For all those who have embraced the DIY life, this will be the ultimate thing, and it is good for both pros and novices. All the OBD2/EOBD on all OBD2 vehicles could be fished out by this. Its function is to read and erase all engine fault codes in cars from 2000, especially in US, European and Asian cars that have 12 volts and 16 pins.
Some of the major features of this product include its compatibility with all OBDII/EOBD cars, minivans, SUVs and light duty trucks anywhere in the world. This also supports the multiple code requests and will give those specific codes from manufacture, generic codes for all, and permanent and pending codes. Codes are cleared by this when necessary and it also turns the check engine indicator. This also resets the monitors and reads the freeze frame data that displays the conditions of engine coolant temperature, fuel trim, and malfunction indicator light. The scanner also plays back the sensor data after reading, recording and graphing it. Information about the vehicle, like its VIN number and others could be retrieved by this too, and you can print the data through a computer.
- Data could be printed
- It could retrieve VIN and other information
- Supports multiple codes
- Supports multiple languages
- Works only on cars manufactured from 2000
- Cannot be updated on Mac and windows 10
4. Ancel AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD II Scanner Car Engine Fault Code Reader CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool
Do you fancy car tools with classic design? The fought car scanner we are discussing has this. It is the AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD II Scanner. Ancel ad 310 reviews says this will easily scan trouble codes and clear them in a short time. It is so simple that even new users can easily read and understand the codes with it. It is an easy tool to discover problems in cars. This could work on cars made in athe US from 1996 and those made in Europe from 2000. It also works on all new imported and domestic cars with OBD II & CAN compliance. This makes the reading easier because it supports multiple languages. No scanner supports as many languages as it does. It is perfect in reading the Check Engine Light and handling it. This also reads the freeze frame data and I/M monitor readiness. It comes with a very spacious LCD display which makes reading very easy and clear. This is designed in a way that its contrast could be adjusted too. It showcases the results of the test. The entire unit will not need any battery because it could be powered from the OBD data link in your car. The cable is 2.5 feet long, and this is long enough for any purpose. Company also offers a 3 year warranty over this product.
- It works with multiple languages
- The cable is long enough for whatever need
- There is no need for a charger
- It’s easy and fast
- Also retrieves information about vehicles
5. BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices
For all your USA cars manufactured from 1996 upwards, you can enjoy the BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool. Now, you must get testimonies before you buy these tools. You will see many tools out there saying that they work on all vehicles. But most of these will have hiccups when it comes to vehicles of J1850 & CAN protocols. This is one among the scanner for cars that takes care of that. When we say our scanner works on CAN protocols, it is a fact. With this, you will enjoy prolonged durability and more stable connections. The mechanism of this is smoother and you will enjoy quicker data rates. The good thing about this is that the support they will give you after buying is amazing. The features of this are that it reads Check Engine Light Codes on OBDII vehicles, resets the CEL, offers many additional readings, reads the graphs sensor, also gets the car ready for emission testing with some other functions. The setup of this is the plug and play easy to use type, and its reading is always very clear
- Reads all J1850 & CAN protocol cars from 1996
- Reads check engine lights
- Not compatible with iOS
- May not last as long as envisaged
6. Veepeak OBD2 Scanner Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader for Check Engine
With the Veepeak VP30 CAN OBDII Scan Tool, you can easily access the diagnostic trouble codes in your car and their explanations. This works on all the vehicles that are complaint with the OBD2, including the light trucks too. This has a very smallish design, but this does not deter it from performing all the scanning functions that bigger scanners perform. With it, you will enjoy the retrieval of all essential car information like the VIN number of the vehicle. It will also help you pick out trouble codes for engine and explain the reason for the Check Engine Light. It is designed to be a plug and play tool, so there is no training on how to use it. It will also determine the reason for the malfunction indicator light and will pass data to the on board computer in the vehicle. It needs no batteries and does not need a laptop or phone to read.
- Stand-alone unit with no need for laptop or phone
- Plug and play and easy to use
- Reads quickly and accurately
- Covers a wide range of cars
- Couldn’t erase code messages on Nissan versa
- Does not work on Mazda 2002, 2007, 2014, and keeps saying “Link Error”
7. Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II & CAN Scan Tool
The seventh of these best car scanners to be reviewed is the AutoLink AL319 OBD II & CAN Scan Tool from Autel. Without much hype, it can read your OBD II & CAN imported and domestic cars. One of the significant features of this is the LED backlight that is fully coded with bright colors so that it is easily seen during the day and at night. The product also has a very loud speaker, and it gives readiness indications in a very vivid and audible manner. With this, all the generic Uo, P1, P2, and P3 would be obtained. It also retrieves the specific codes of Uo, P1, and P3 from the manufacturer. The three primary functions of this piece are that it resets the monitor, clears all systems and turns the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) off. It also views the freeze frame data and comes with the one-click readiness key and is very affordable.
- This is very affordable
- It has a built in speaker
- Color coded LED indicator
- Works on all models and makes
8. Car WIFI OBD 2 OBD2 OBDII Scan Tool Foseal Scanner Adapter Check Engine Diagnostic Tool for iOS & Android
If you are looking for a scanner that supports numerous OBD2 protocols like J1850 PWM, J1850 VPW, ISO9141-2, ISO15765-4 (CAN) and some others, then you need to get this. Just check for the 16-pin DLC (Data Link Connector) under the dash of your car and also look at your Vehicle Emission Control Information Label to see if your car is OBD2 compliant. Once this is confirmed, this will be the best scanner for the car that you own. It supports a lot of operating systems including the iOS, Android, and Windows. It displays lots of sensor data, and they include short term fuel trim, vehicle speed, a status of a fuel system, the temperature of the coolant, calculated load value, engine RPM and many others.
The product reads all manufacturer’s and general trouble codes and clears them. It also supports the free OBD car doctor iOS app.
- Compatible with many car makers and brands
- Displays sensor data for many things
- Supports many operating systems
- This could do with some advancement like getting proprietary software
9. Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles
The MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool Autel scanner is the next in line. It is so good that it has a catalog of more than 7,000 trouble codes for cars, and all their descriptions and explanations, and that is to say that there is nothing that will ever trouble your vehicle which this will not pick out and explain to you. It is ideal for you. It will pick out both the information that is specific to the carmaker and the general ones. This also involves definitions lookup software on CD and will also display DTC definitions on the screen. It comes with an LED backlight that could be read and understood easily and offers multiple language readings. With this, you can pick out the VIN and other data about the vehicle, and it works on cars from 2002 up. It works with all the OBD2 protocols, coupled with the CAN (Controller Area Network) contracts in US, European and Asian cars.
Up to 7000 trouble codes and definitions
Easy to read an clear LCD backlight
- Be careful, you may buy this and not get an Autel
- It displays E46 link error more often
- Does not work on tracker Chevy
10. Autel AL519 AutoLink Enhanced OBD ll Scan Tool with Mode 6
This is the last in our list and it is also from Autel. The AL519 AutoLink Enhanced OBD ll Scan Tool will help you with a faster state emissions readiness check, and verification of your drive cycle. These are possible through its patented one click I/M readiness key. With this, you will be given information that is particular to the car manufacturer and the general ones. This will also provide you with the pending codes and the VIN and other information about vehicles. With this, your Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) will be turned off. It is designed in a way that you can easily pack and carry it because of its compact nature. This means that you can always move with it to anywhere. When you buy, you will get a carry case, an OBD2 cable, USB cable and the user’s manual, plus the CD. This will read, record, graph and playback live sensor while you are moving.
One of its amazing features is that it comes with an inbuilt speaker. It is also very affordable. The LED indicator light is so bright and clear that it could be easily read and understood. It works on all vehicles manufactured from 1996 in the US, Europe and Asia.
- Records and plays back live sensor data
- Very bright LED backlight
- Very poor customer service
- The firmware/software cannot be updated through the website